Sunday, February 23, 2014

Digging out a P. Rubromarginata in the middle of winter


Yesterday, after a 2 or 3 day thaw, I attempted to dig out a P. Rubromarginata, which was flattened and completely buried by snow cover.  I am moving homes and suffice it to say that I had no choice but to do this.  Below are some pics.


  Here it is after I dug out most of the 1-2 foot snow cover:



After clearing off the remaining snow, the garment bag that I used to protect the Rubro is visible.  It has a small opening in it, which made me think that something might have been nesting in it, and munching on it.



But then, the first good sign:



Then, a little more green...



And her it is - after a brutal winter that seems far from over...



Amazingly, the Rubro looks very, very good.  Bushy, healthy-looking, and NO leaf burn whatsoever! Here is a foliage close-up:



This is how I dug it out.  I connected my garden hose to my laundry faucet, which allowed me to soak the root mass with warm water. I then slowly, pain-stakingly dug it out.



Finally, success...



Well, sort of.  I did manage to dig it out but now, nearly two full days later, I see that it has experienced quite a bit of shock (no pic yet).  I have stored it in my garage because I don't want to bring it out of dormancy.

I left this Rubro for dead two years ago and to my surprise it came back very strong, so I hope it will hang in there for the next month or two so that I can get it into the ground.

I had planned to dig up another four plants but alas I failed.  The root masses were too large and the ice too thick.  I did manage to get two good chunks rhizome from my P. Aurosulcata 'Spectabilis' which I have potted indoors with the hope of propagate a seedling or two.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment